I believe that creativity is a powerful skill that can be practiced and developed. I hope my blog inspires you to find your very own "creative lment". ~LM
Plastic drawer towers offer a great and inexpensive storage solution. They’re used by everyone, from students in dormitories right down to hobbyists like myself. Priced between $25-40 per unit, they are an accessible and flexible product for any budget. Recently, I placed a few under an existing counter top in my craft nook. They started life out as tall 6 drawer towers, but by popping the lid off the top, I was able to shorten them just by removing a few of the layers. Once I was satisfied with the height, all I had to do was pop the original lid back on the top. Wa-la!
I really liked these units for their simple lines, durable white frame and transparent drawers. I felt using them would keep my space light and airy. However, after placing a few items in the drawers, I realized that the transparency was inadvertently creating an unwelcome eyesore. Not wanting to worry about keeping my drawers neat and tidy all the time, I decided to try and come up with a solution to help cover up some of the visual mess. The solution? DIY drawer inserts.
Using thick card stock, I cut “template” paper inserts to fit the outward facing section of each drawer. Since my drawers were a little longer than my 8.5 x 11 paper stash, I had to cheat by cutting and adhering an extra piece of card stock on each end to make them long enough. This did not detract from their look since I was covering them with fabric anyway. I wanted the over all look to coordinate with my recent ribbon board project, so I decided to wrap the inserts with the same fabric. I cut a piece of fabric to cover each insert, leaving about 1″ overhang to fold over the edges on the back. Lastly, using some Mod Podge and a foam brush, I proceeded to adhere the fabric to the card stock. For each corner, I cut out out the bulk of the fabric by cutting in a little “V” – allowing the fabric to adhere perfectly flat.
Now the easy part – letting the inserts dry overnight! I returned the next morning to find the panel’s once limp and gloppy consistency transformed into crisp and airy boards. With the scent of glue still thick in the air, I eagerly slid each insert into the front of each drawer, and then stood back to admire the transformation.
Overall , this took me about 2 hours to complete. Since I already had all of the supplies on hand, this turned out to be quite an inexpensive customization project. As an alternative to fabric covered panels, decorative card stock could be used instead, making this project even faster to do. Great for closets, laundry rooms and bathrooms – there are many uses for these handy bins. So , if you are looking for some attractive (yet inexpensive) storage, or want to beautify your existing plastic towers, I highly recommend this project! ~ LM